Hawkesbury EarthCare Centre open
Visit the Hawkesbury EarthCare Centre this Sustainable House Day.
The Hawkesbury EarthCare Centre at University of Western Sydney, Richmond, will be open to the public on Sunday September 7 at 10am. The centre is managed by the Alternative Technology Association (ATA), publisher of Sanctuary magazine, and Henry Doubleday Research Association (HDRA).
The centre features a solar passive earth community building and extensive permaculture gardens.
Visitors can tour the site and see various sustainability features including:
- Walls constructed from rammed earth, mudbrick and strawbale
- A straw panel ceiling and a composting toilet
- Interiors constructed from recycled timber
- An extensive organic garden covering over half a hectare (including composting)
- A small dam, windmill and storage tank as part of the on-site water management system
- A bread/pizza oven made from mud bricks.
There will be information stalls and items for sale (books, plants, seeds, solar powered devices, fruit and vegetables) and people will be available to answer questions.
The EarthCare Centre is located on the corner of Science Rd and Campus Drive, Richmond NSW.